Table of contents
In this guide, I will show you how to set up a SMTP Service. This means that you are serious about setting up a Email Marketing System, saving money and being the master of it.
Of course at the beginning, we first need to understand what AMAZON(AWS) SES’s role is to start building our cash machine.
What is AWS SES?
Specifically, AWS SES is a Simple Email Service. It is a SMTP service provided by Amazon Web services that allows you, the programmer or your application like Sendy, MailWizz and WP email plugin to send emails.
Any Email Marketing system comprises of two components:
The Sender (SMTP): It allows you to send emails over the internet.
The Email Marketing Software i.e The Application: where you configure and manage the tool. This can consist of Email lists, Custom Marketing Campaigns to monitor and analyze your results etc.
We need to connect these together.
Email Marketing Software Options
Secondly, to start sending our campaigns, you will need an email application connected to you AWS SES SMTP server or use a email marketing service.
There are so many options to choose from:
- Sign up with with an Email Marketing Service provider like MailChimp, Aweber, Sendinblue.
- Use a SMTP service like SendGrid, Amazon SES, G Suite or Mailgun. To use these services, you’ll need to use an email marketing application that will manage everything else.
- Build your own SMTP Server and send as many emails as you’d like.
Why You Only Need Amazon SES?
The first reason would be that AWS SES is super cost effective compared to other providers like MailChimp.
The below chart says it all when you compare it to players like MailChimp. Why would you pay $1000 for something which could also cost $10 per email campaign.
In addition, AWS SES provides:
- High deliverability. Amazon takes deliverability, reputation and whitelisting seriously by supporting all three authentication mechanisms (DKIM, SPF, and DMARC).
- Content personalization. You are able to insert custom tags.
- Email receiving. You are able to retrieve them too.
Amazon takes care of all other technical difficulty and lets you worry about managing your email marketing software.
Amazon SES Requirements
The only thing that you need to get your SMTP service working first is to have a DOMAIN NAME.
When you send emails, you will be sending it from one like this one:
The domain name that I have used is “a-techie.com”. A domain name is essential to send emails from your SMTP server.
I wouldn’t recommend sending cold emails from your domain name. It’ll lead you to your server IP getting black listed on a shared database. This is the last thing you want. So if you are going to do it, I’d recommend using a different domain name if you want to use cold emailing.
How to get a Domain name?
In fact, its never been more easier to get one today. You can get it from a a variety of Domain Registration Providers like:
- AWS Route53
However, If you would like to create a cheap DNS name for pennies, I would suggest buying .xyz domain for $1.17 a year just to practice hooking everything up!
Connect Amazon SES – Setup
For this setup we’ll use Sendy as an example. What you need to do is:
- Go onto your AWS account and go to IAM Users
- Click Add user and enter the username and select access type as programmatic
- Under attach existing policy directly, type sesf and snsf to select the policy
- Copy the access key ID and secret access key
Here is a video guide:
How to Be Accepted And Increase Your Sending Limits?
Firstly, let me caution you that you that the only way to be rejected from amazon SES is to:
- Not have a website
- Intend on spamming
- No have a opt-in page
- Not give them an overview plan of how you intend to collect emails.
- Not have a bounce back strategy
Luckily, I have crafted together a sample with all the topics that you need to mention.
Follow the guide below and open a support case to open your AWS SES sending limit request.
Region: Select your Region.
Limit: Daily Sending Quote.
New Limit Value: 1000-2000.
I have a website that will have public articles on how to become a techie. I want to send my subscribers a weekly newsletter. All my subscribers will join through an sign up form where they can choose to continue to get emails from me or they can choose to unsubscribe.
I have 0% bounce rates as I will be using third party verification services which ensures the validity of all my emails.
If you need to know anything else, please dont hesitate to ask.
Once your limit has been lifted, you’re now able to start sending emails.
Before You Start Sending!
Congratulations! You have now configured your Amazon SES to start sending emails to the world.